The following is a list of more commonly performed
procedures (but not limited to):
- TPLO (cruciate ligament rupture surgery)
- Medial and lateral patellar luxation stabilization
- Extracapsular suture repair
- Fracture repair
- Femoral head and neck excision (FHO)
Soft tissue surgery:
- Oncologic surgery (mass removal)
- Exploratory laparotomy
- Cystotomy and other urogenital surgeries
- Brachycephalic surgery
- Limb Amputation
- Tail amputation
- Perineal urethrostomy
- Hernia repair
- Anal sacculectomy
- Wound explore
- Reconstructive surgery
- Many other surgical procedures
Information on surgical conditions:
- Link to the ACVS for more information on
- Dr. Swayne will meet with your client to examine
the patient, discuss treatment options and set out a
thorough diagnostic and treatment plan prior to
- Following surgery or the initial consultation,
Dr. Swayne is available to review recheck
radiographs, discuss results (ie. Cytology and
histopathology) and help guide the management
of the patient.
- Dr. Swayne is available to assess your patient’s
radiographs at no charge.
- These can be submitted via email to
- Please give at least 24 hours for a response, unless
the case is an emergency. If you require a faster
response please indicate in the subject that it is
- Please feel free to submit them and be sure to
include a complete, concise medical history
Postoperative care and
- Referring veterinarians will be involved in the
postoperative re-examination of surgical patients.
Discharge instructions will be provided by GHVS for
your medical records and for the pet owner.
You are encouraged to send progress reports and
recheck radiographs to Dr. Swayne and she will help
you guide the postoperative care and treatment plan.
- Recheck examinations can be scheduled with
- Rehabilitation is an essential aspect of the recovery
of a pet from orthopedic surgery. Recommendations
as to where this can be performed will also
Emergency and Referral
- Dr. Swayne will be scheduling consultations and
surgeries at the new BVERH.
- BVERH provides the option for more complex cases
to have 24 hour hospitalization and postoperative
- This service will also help minimize the need for
transportation of trauma patients to and from the
family practice and emergency clinic.
- Link to BVERH website
Northern Ontario Surgical
- Dr. Swayne travels to Walden Animal Hospital once
every 1-2 mths (weather dependent in the winter)
to perform surgical consultations and elective
surgical procedures. Your primary care veterinarian
can contact both Dr. Swayne to discuss the case
and the Walden Animal Hospital to schedule a
consultation +/- surgery for the next weekend
Dr. Swayne will be in Sudbury.
- Lectures for you and your staff can be scheduled
with Dr. Swayne and Jenny Gibbons RVT, VTS (anes).
- If there are specific topics you wish to hear more
about please feel free to ask us.